Research interests: Syntax, semantics, grammatical theory and the syntax-semantics interface (especially Lexical Functional Grammar and Glue Semantics), philosophy of language, (critical) discourse analysis, language & gender, language & sexuality.
For full details of my work, see my CV. Below are some recent papers.
- Jamie Y. Findlay. The prepositional passive in Lexical Functional Grammar. In Doug Arnold, Miriam Butt, Berthold Crysmann, Tracy Holloway King, and Stefan Müller (eds.), Proceedings of the Joint 2016 Conference on Head-driven Phrase Structure Grammar and Lexical Functional Grammar, 255–275. Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
Presentations and invited talks
When the cat you let out of the bag has claws: the role of metaphor in understanding idioms. Presented at the Linguistics and English Language Research Seminar, University of Manchester, 27 November 2018.
Pulling a pretence rabbit out of the hat. Joint work with Sascha Bargmann and Manfred Sailer. Presented (by Manfred Sailer) at the Workshop on Form-Meaning Mismatches in Natural Language (FMM2018), Georg-August-Universät Göttingen, 4 August 2018.
- Lexical and grammatical meaning: attributive adjectives in French. Joint work with Hannah Senior. Presented at the 23rd International Lexical Functional Grammar Conference, University of Vienna, 18 July 2018.
- How (not) to analyse multiword expressions. Invited talk at the Linguistics Oberseminar, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main, 25 June 2018.
- Lexicalised LFG. Presented at the 25th South of England LFG Meeting, SOAS, London, 26 May 2018.
- Conspiracy theories: the problem with lexical approaches to idioms. Presented at the Workshop on One-to-Many Relations in Morphology, Syntax and Semantics at the 40th Annual Meeting of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft (DGfS 2018), Universität Stuttgart, 8 March, 2018.
- The logic of Korean honorification. Joint work with Yoolim Kim. Presented at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Linguistics Association of Great Britain (LAGB 2017), University of Kent, Canterbury, 6 September 2017.
- Multiword expressions and lexicalism. Presented at the 22nd International Lexical Functional Grammar Conference, University of Konstanz, 27 July 2017.
- When the subject honorific brings honour to all: the expanding role of pragmatics in Korean honorification. Joint work with Yoolim Kim. Presented at the 12th Language at the University of Essex Postgraduate Conference (LangUE 2017), Colchester, 15 June 2017.
- Multiword expressions and lexicalism: the view from LFG. Poster presented at the 13th Workshop on Multiword Expressions (MWE 2017), Valencia, 4 April 2017.
- Multiword expressions and lexicalism. Presented at the 22nd South of England LFG Meeting, SOAS, London, 4 February 2017.
- The pseudopassive: not so phoney after all. Invited talk at the Linguistics Departmental Seminar Series, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, 31 January 2017.